This guide is intended primarily for use with such vessels where there are no international, national or local regulations. It is not intended to:
- replace or override any applicable international conventions, national legislation, local laws or Classification Society rules;
- replace any existing regional or local standards or checklists for barge safety, for example those
- existing in the USA and parts of Europe;
- encourage the use of non self-propelled barges in trades in open waters where the use of self-propelled tankers or barges is more appropriate;
- discourage the use of non self-propelled barges where full and appropriate safety precautions are already practised; or
- provide comprehensive operating instructions.
A general guide of this nature cannot be specific to all types of vessels in all locations and readers should use their own discretion on its application in the particular circumstances.